How to Document Your Slip and Fall Case

Categories: personal injury

Shadow Man falling

Slips and falls can happen almost anywhere. From grocery stores to office buildings, and from sidewalks to parking lots, even seemingly minor hazards can lead to serious injuries. If you were injured in a fall on public or private property in Wisconsin, you may be entitled to a financial recovery.

To protect your rights, it will be important to document your case as much as possible. With this in mind, here are three key types of evidence you should try to collect to support your claim for compensation:

Three Key Types of Evidence in a Slip and Fall Case

1. Evidence from the Scene of the Accident

First, in order to seek financial compensation, you will need to be able to demonstrate that someone else (most likely the landowner, tenant, or property manager) made a mistake that led to your injury. This can be as simple as failing to promptly clean up a spill or to put up signs warning of a slippery floor. To establish fault, try to collect as much evidence as you can at the scene of the accident. This includes:

  • Taking photographs of the area where you fell, the surrounding area, your injuries, and any damage to your personal effects.
  • Asking any witnesses for their contact information (your attorney may get in contact with them later for a statement about what happened).

2. Evidence of Your Accident-Related Injuries

Next, you will need evidence linking your injuries to your fall. This means that you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. When you see your doctor, be sure to tell him or her what happened and to fully describe your symptoms so that you can receive a thorough diagnosis. Following your doctor visit, you should be sure to collect:

  • Copies of your scans and medical records.
  • Bills, statements of benefits, and any other payment-related documentation.
  • Receipts for any medical supplies or devices you purchase.

3. Evidence of Your Injuries’ Impact on Your Life

Finally, for many people, the effects of their injuries extend far beyond their medical bills and treatment-related expenses. In Wisconsin, when you file a personal injury claim, you can seek compensation for all of your accident-related losses. This includes things like lost wages, pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life.

As a result, following your accident, you should try to keep any records that help demonstrate how your injuries have impacted your life. These could include:

  • Employment-related documentation (note that there are special steps that you will need to take if you were injured at work).
  • Receipts for childcare providers, landscapers, house cleaners, and any other service providers you were forced to hire due to your injuries.
  • A journal or calendar documenting any special events (like children’s recitals) you missed because you were in pain.

Disclaimer: This Article Is Not Legal Advice.

Never rely on an article for legal advice as the law frequently changes, information may not be accurate, there may be exceptions to a rule, and reliance may be detrimental. Always consult one of our experienced attorneys for competent, current, and accurate legal advice.

Injured in Wausau, WI? Contact Crooks, Low & Connell, S.C. Today

If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible. For more information on the steps you need to take to protect your rights, call Crooks, Low & Connell, S.C. at (715) 842-2291 or tell us what happened online today.